On October 16th, distinguished guests joined Hydro Ottawa's Board Chair Jim Durrell and President and CEO, Bryce Conrad, at the official opening of Chaudière Falls. This is the first time in more than 100 years that the historic site is open permanently for the public to enjoy.
The event highlighted the site's viewing platforms, park space and design elements that honour Algonquin and Anishinaabe people.
From the beginning, Energy Ottawa's vision of the Chaudière Falls expansion project has been three-fold: produce clean, renewable energy in an environmentally responsible way; be an open public space to be enjoyed by all; and serve as a place of recognition and celebration of First Nations culture and Ottawa's industrialist past.
- The project was specifically designed to have minimal-to-zero impacts on the visual, natural and aquatic environments.
- In July 2017, Energy Ottawa's new hydroelectric facility at Chaudière Falls was energized. Annually, it will power 20,000 homes with clean, renewable energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 metric tons of CO2.
- Energy Ottawa, an affiliate of Hydro Ottawa, is Ontario's largest municipally owned producer of green power with a total generation capacity of 128 megawatts; enough to power 107,000 homes.
- Run-of-the-river hydroelectric facilities have minimal impact on the environment because they do not produce pollution or greenhouse gases. Instead they rely on the natural flow of their water source, and can generate power 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year long.
- Energy Ottawa owns all six of the hydroelectric facilities at the Chaudière Falls site on both sides of the Ottawa River, as well as the Ring Dam. In total, these hydroelectric facilities produce 99 megawatts of renewable energy.
"While undertaking the Chaudière Falls expansion project, one of our primary goals was to create a beautiful public space that can be enjoyed by residents and visitors of the national capital region. The opening of Chaudière Falls has been a collaborative process, executed with great care, trust and thoughtfulness on behalf of all parties. We are excited to share it with you today."
- Bryce Conrad, President and CEO
"Hydro Ottawa's Chaudière Falls expansion is a perfect example of Ottawa's leadership, and it represents an important infrastructure expansion for this community. I applaud Hydro Ottawa for their vision, and look forward to benefits our community receives from this project. Congratulations to Hydro Ottawa for project completion and for their continued leadership towards a clean and affordable electricity system."
- Bob Chiarelli, Ontario Minister of Infrastructure and MPP for Ottawa West-Nepean
"The Chaudière Falls are one of the region's most impressive and beautiful natural landmarks, and an important part of First Nations culture. Thanks to Hydro Ottawa, the public will be able to experience these historically significant falls for the very first time, and for many generations to come, as an important legacy of Canada's 150th anniversary."
- Jim Watson, Mayor of Ottawa
Manager, Media and Public Affairs
Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 2345